Your GP practice
A GP practice is a team of health professionals, led by doctors known as general practitioners (GPs), who oversee all aspects of your physical and mental health care, throughout your life. You should contact them for medical advice and treatment for conditions you can’t treat yourself or aren’t getting better.
Through your GP practice you can receive a wide range of services, which may include:
- Consultations and advice about your health
- Prescriptions for medicines
- Tests to help diagnose what is wrong with you
- A referral to a specialist service
- Monitoring and care for any long term health problems.
- Screening, vaccinations and advice to help prevent health problems or diagnosing them as early as possible.
All GP practices work in very different ways nowadays to make sure everyone gets the care they need from a suitably qualified healthcare professional, as quickly as possible. It is worth getting to know how things work in your practice before you need them, so you can get help for your medical problem quickly.