Learn about the health topics related to lung health.
Lung Health Event
A lung health event is taking place in June 2023 to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of lung problems, particularly cancer. It has been arranged by NHS Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland, together with the East Midlands Cancer Alliance (EMCA), local GP practices and other health organisations.
Location: Morrisons’ Car Park, Whitwick Road, Coalville, LE67 3JN
Date and time: Tuesday, June 20, 2023. 10am to 2pm.
At the event, people will be able to:
- Learn about the signs and symptoms of lung cancer and how to prevent it.
- Step inside the inflatable mega lung to find out more about respiratory illnesses.
- Get a COVID vaccination, if eligible.
- Get support to give up smoking to reduce your risk of developing cancer and other respiratory diseases.
- Speak to a GP about any lung problems you are experiencing and book a lung health check.
- If you are already living with cancer, or supporting someone who is, come and learn how Macmillan can help.
Lung cancer signs and symptoms
If you’ve had a cough for three weeks or more, it could be a sign of lung cancer. It’s important that you contact your GP practice as soon as possible.
It’s probably nothing serious, but finding cancer early makes it more treatable.
Other symptoms include:
- Chest infections that keep coming back
- Coughing up blood
- A long-standing cough that gets worse
- An ache or pain when breathing or coughing
- Persistent breathlessness
- Persistent tiredness or lack of energy
- Loss of appetite or unexplained weight loss.
Smoking is the most common cause of lung cancer. Reduce your risk of developing it by getting support from a Stop Smoking Service where you live.
Stopping smoking in Leicester by Live Well Leicester
Quit Ready in Leicestershire and Rutland
COVID-19 or Coronavirus is an infectious and acute respiratory disease. You can find out more about how to protect yourself and others from catching it on our main COVID-19 page.